Apply here by November 28th, 2022
$500 in funding will be granted to all fellows who complete their research project or clearly demonstrate that they invested at least sixty hours into the project.
An additional $500 will be awarded to the fellow who created the best original research according to guidelines laid out on this document, one award will be given per semester.
- Member of Effective Altruism UW-Madison
- Completion of semester long Introduction to Effective Altruism fellowship, Good Futures Fellowship, Effective Animal Advocacy Fellowship or AGI Safety Fundamentals Program
Our Research Committee will make selections based on:
- Pertinence of project proposal to ideology of Effective Altruism
- This list of research questions in a good place to start
- Quality of research proposal
- Achievability of research outcome within proposed timeline
- Degree to which research need is demonstrated
Awardees may also apply without a research proposal and collaborate with another awardee. If accepted this does not impact grant size, but awardees with original research proposals are preferred.
Conditions of the Award:
- Awardee must demonstrate an investment of 60 hours or more into their research project
- Awardee must attend bi-weekly meetings to provide updates to organizers on their research progress
- Awardee must attend weekly awardee coworking sessions. (accommodations can be made for scheduling conflicts)
- Awardees must publicize their research in some way. This could be a post on the EA Forum or a submission to UW-Madison's Undergrad Journal, or any other reputable platform.
- Awardee must prepare a 10-15 minute presentation on their research to be presented at an end-of-the-year conference on April 23rd.
Submit completed research proposals to this form by 11/28/2022
You will hear back from us regarding the status of your application by 12/05/2022
Research Fellowship Application:
Note: If you are concerned your proposal isn't sufficiently EA relevant, don't hesitate to reach out to us beforehand.
- Project proposal consisting of 1.5-2 (700-1000 words) double-spaced pages with at least 1 inch margins and 11-12pt font. All proposals should include the following information:
- Background paragraph establishing the basis for your research and the existing state of research around the topic(s)
- Introduction detailing the originality and significance of the research
- Methods section for your research detailing the means by which you mean to collect and analyze the obtained information
- Timeline of completion for the project
- Concluding paragraph
- References (if necessary)
Please email [email protected] for any questions or inquiries on the details of your proposal. Thank you for your interest!